Tuesday, October 7, 2014

#SMSWalkfest on the National Mall


On Saturday, I spent my morning on the National Mall at the Stop Modern Slavery Walkfest. I was surrounded by DC/MD/VA residents and local organizations raising awareness about anti-human trafficking efforts in the DMV and abroad. The event took place near the Washington Monument and included a full program from music to speeches from activists and survivor-activists to a walk. Human Trafficking is a heartbreaking epidemic that plagues our world. This past weekend, I was re-energized, inspired, and motivated by being among those who are actively fighting to abolish it.

With my abolitionist registration I received this t-shirt and a survivor-made keychain. FreeSet, the company that produces them, is in the business of freedom. All items are made in India by Indian women who are survivors or sex-trafficking in Kolkata.

I don't know what the text says. Perhaps the name of the survivor who created it, or a message. Either way, like the company's mission, it's a symbol of hope.


If it moves you. Move.

xo | din


No comments:

Post a Comment

we love hearing from our readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...